Thursday, November 4, 2010

Freaky Fred

My bro Isaac was recently watching an episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog titled Freaky Fred.

As I child, I always felt that it was bizarre and macabre, but now I love it!
I totally love the poem - the guy who wrote has great command of the English Language and has a real knack of crafting poems.
The voice actor of Fred is a genius.

The most hilarious part was when Fred shaved the pancakes into Courage's mouth LOL!

Okay enough ado, here's the video:


Here's the lyrics of the poem. Some parts are hard to understand, I had to think hard or search definition for words. I added "*" and "^" for unfamiliar words or phrases which I interpreted :)
Hello new friend. My name is Fred.
The words you hear are in my head.
I say I said my name is Fred.
And I've been...
Very naughty.

The story I'm about to tell
I tell you I will tell it well
Is of my dear aunt Muriel
And just how I've been...
Naughty.

Voila, the farm. My aunt lives here.
With precious pup and husband dear.
My heart beat fast as I drew near.
I felt so nice...
and Naughty.

I thought just how excited they
Must be that I would come today.
They'd shout, "Come Fred! Huzzah! Hoo-ray!
Dear boy, you look so...
Naughty."

That's when my tired eyes beheld
A doggy dog! Like dog he smelled.
D-O-G is what he spelled.
And that's how I spell...
Naughty.

Alone was I, with tender Courage.
And all his fur, his furry furrage*.
Which, I say, did encourage
Me, to be quite...
Naughty.

It was a day I'll not forget;
The day I first met my pet.
Oh, what a lovely gift to get.
I'd never felt so...
Naughty.

My fuzzy friend is what he was.
This darling little ball of fuzz.
And, oh, such fuzz, such fuzz, it does
Demand that I be...
Naughty.

He looked at me, his fetching eyes,
And fetching fur did hypnotize,
I filled with joy, I filled with sighs;
And that was when I got...
Naughty.

His dripping hair, this droopy curl,
Unfurls sweet memories of a girl.
With tresses oh, they twist and twirl.
And tempt me to be...
Naughty.

Barbara, my love was named;
And her fair hair, a mane untamed;
Until one evening, I'm ashamed,
I got a little...
Naughty.

The look upon my young love's face
Was sweet as lace**!
But in this case, I realized she
Needed space***.

I never more was naughty.
Well... maybe not never.

Dear cur, your fur and fleece remind
Of nothing found in humankind.
But for one fellow, who did find
Me, to be in a certain mood.

Into my shop he walked one day,
With bush above, and beard bouquet.
"That's no toupee****," I prayed, "No way."
I could help but be...you know...

I'd never seen such hair before!
His bangs*****, they sang! His neck, it beckoned!
Eyebrows, armpits, all were reckoned!
Soon, I figured, what the heck!
And that's how I was...
Naughty.

But then my landlords^ did presume
To free me from that porcelain tomb^^,
And ferry to a private room^^^,
Your hero, ever doughty^^^^.

Goodbye, dear aunt. I'll miss your farm.
And Eustace's ebullient^^^^^ charm.
And farewell Courage; what's the harm,
If I was slightly...
Naughty.

With Love, Fred.
*furrage is not a real word, but it is a play on the word fur to mean something full of fur.
**lace is a delicate decorative fabric made from cotton, silk, etc., woven in an open web of different symmetrical patterns and figures
***needed space is a phrase to imply a break-up of a relationship
****toupee a small hairpiece to cover partial baldness
*****bangs means fringe (in the United States, Canada and the Philippines)
^landlords in this case refers to the staff of the "Home for Freaky Barbers"
^^porcelain tomb refers to the toilet
^^^private room refers to solitary confinement
^^^^doughty means brave
^^^^^ebullient means cheerful, full of energy

No comments: