Monday, November 1, 2010

The Writer's Feel

One of the things about creative writing that really irks me is the constant need for inspiration, or what I would like to refer to "the feel". In fact, the feel is needed for almost everything creative: composing music... writing lyrics... designing games... doing a blog post about feels...

The second thing about creative writing that really irks me is that once you have inspiration, it disappears! At one moment, I feel that this makes good writing, at the next I don't feel like writing it. In camp, I had a sudden feel to do a post about an old song "Through It All" by Hillsong, and about how I watched Calvin singing it in his suave no. 1 uniform on his wedding day, and how I felt impacted by watching it even though I couldn't hear a thing, but I don't feel like doing it now. Oh wait, I think I just did.

I suppose that if I actually forced myself to do it, I may get the feel back. Or I may not.
And that's not very inspiring.

You might wonder, why in the world is this dude talking about feels and writing. (sounds kinda carnal talking about making decisions based on feeling)

The short answer is that this dude felt like it.

The longer explanation consists of 2 reasons, and the first of which would be that I've been reading The Salmon Of Doubt by Douglas Adams, and his comic writing style got to me. Yup, I stol- I mean employed some of his essence into this post, with a tinge of my own of course. I love most of the book, except the parts where he debates about God being an artificial entity of man's inclination and imagination. Oh well, I guess it's good to understand the atheist mindset. I would want to read his hit title The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

The Salmon Of Doubt
A humorous book that looks at life and things around us from an interesting perspective.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
I wanna read this!

The second reason (hold on, I just recalled my inspiration to write about 2010 being a year of change. Anyway...) is that I'm thinking of writing a story. I've always liked fantasy worlds, epic adventures, mighty champions and colossal battles. Add interactive entertainment in and you have a Game. Strange thought, that I'm into writing and the arts in recent years, as I always thought I was more of Maths and Science student - my grades bear witness of that. I'm a hybrid perhaps?

My first passion is still games though. It's just that I have had so many story ideas over the years that I never really penned down (or rather, typed out). Actually I did try to start to type out a few, but lacked the resolve to complete them. I now realize that discipline is more important than inspiration. Then, one might ask, why now?

I felt like it.

No comments: